My overall goal as a researcher is to combine physiological studies in humans and rodents with cutting-edge molecular and genomics approaches to improve our understanding of the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. In particular, I am interested in how novel type 2 diabetes candidate genes influence an individualâ€™s risk for diabetes at the physiological and molecular/genomic level. My lab is also involved in novel studies designed to unravel the mechanism of action of novel and established type 2 diabetes medications in humans, animals and cells. We use a range of modern molecular and physiological tools to approach these questions.
Graduate School Activities
- PHYL 6020: Diabetes Lecture Series, Department of Physiology, UTHSCSA.
- PHAR 5019: Metabolism, Hormones, GI Physiology and Therapeutics, Department of Pharmacology, UTHSCSA
- Graduate Student Mentor (Iriscilla Ayala, UTHSCSA), 2016 â€“ present
- Graduate Student Mentor (Stephen Chen, UTHSCSA) 2013 â€“ present
- Graduate Student Mentor (Lu Zhang, UTHSCSA) 2013 â€“ present
- Graduate Student Mentor (Juan Xiong, UTHSCSA) 2013 â€“ present
- Graduate Student Committee member (Jianbo Wang, UTHSCSA) 2013 â€“ 2014
- Medical Student Research Program mentor 2013 â€“ 2014
1.ShannonCE, DanieleG, Galindo C, Abdul-Ghani MA, DeFronzo RA, and Norton L: Pioglitazone Inhibits Mitochondrial Pyruvate Metabolism and Glucose Production in Hepatocytes, FEBS J, 2016 (in press)
2.Norton L, Chen X, Fourcaudot M, DeFronzo RA and Heikkinen S*: The Mechanisms of Genome-Wide Target Gene Regulation by TCF7L2 in Liver Cells, Nucleic Acids Res, 2014 42(22):13646-61 (*corresponding author)
3.Abdul-Ghani MA, DeFronzo RA and Norton L: A Novel Hypothesis to Explain Why SGLT2 Inhibitors Inhibit only 30-50% of Filtered Glucose Load in Humans Diabetes, 2013 62(10):3324-8, 2013
4.Norton L, FourcaudotM, Abdul-Ghani MA, WinnierD, MehtaFF, JenkinsonCP and DeFronzo RA: Chromatin occupancy of transcription factor 7-like 2 (TCF7L2) and its role in hepatic glucose metabolism Diabetologia 54(12):3132-42, 2011 (*corresponding author)
5.Norton L, Parr T, Chokkalingam K, Bardsley RG, Ye H, Bell GI, Pelsers MM, van Loon LJ, Tsintzas K: Calpain-10 mRNA and protein levels in human skeletal muscle: Effect of acute lipid-induced insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93(3):992-8, 2008